Sunday, February 27, 2011

The 1st Year of Marriage

We had a wonderful first year of marriage.  Just 3 months after we were married, we found a home that we were excited to move into.  We looke at MANY MANY homes, and had trouble deciding on what was most important to us.  We wanted 3
bedrooms because Matt was intending to run his own business from home eventually, so we needed at least the 1 room for an office, and figured that with time, if a 2nd bedroom were needed for children, we'd re-address it at that point.  If we had to rent out office space, it was going to be a blessing, and we were prepared for it.


Mountain Man Rendezvous in Wyoming in May
Matt wasn't too particular on the floor plan, but I wanted a home that had a Front (formal) room and a Family room.  Additionally, I wanted a bar in the kitchen, and the bedrooms to all be close together.  We envisioned us with our little children and the pro's and con's of each floor plan. 

As we looked, we went into a home, and knew right then that THIS was our home.  It literally spoke to us, and we were VERY excited.  We made an offer, and closed with in 45 days

Our Honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico


For many many months, the home was quite empty.  As a wedding gift to ourselves, we had purchased a 32 in television, we had 2 hand-me-down couches from one of the girls I worked with, and we just put slip covers on them so they looked somewhat presentable.  In the formal front room, we had a couch hand-me-down from Matt's old roommates.  We had a bed I had bought used from one of my old roommates, and a WOBBLY table my parents had purchased at a yard sale.

Our First Christmas

Our first Christmas, we spent alone in our home in Phoenix.  Matt was so sweet and purchased me a used Piano as he recognized my love for music, and knew that there had been times in my past that I had declared that I wanted a piano above any other furniture in my home.  I LOVE my piano still to this day!

At church, I had been called to play piano for Relief Society.  This was good, as it encouraged us to stay through all 3 hours of church every Sunday.  Additionally, I was called to be on the Activities Committee.  Matt was told he could support me in THAT calling, but did not serve in any other position for some time.  That spring, I was ALSO called to lead the music in Sacrament Meeting...which again, I viewed as a blessing, as it forced me (someone who is NOTORIOUS for being LATE LATE LATE to everything) to be ON TIME to church...and it worked.

Matt was offered a "position" by one of his friends as an apprentice to be an appraiser.  Basically, this let him hang out with his buddy all day everyday. Gratefully, he was learning stuff as well. He maintained his job at Buca Di Beppo until the following spring.  I was working LONG hours at my job, and stressing because we were so busy.  Eventually, I asked him to just quit his job at the restaurant because I was NEVER seeing him.  He would work evenings and weekends...and with me working all day everyday until 7-9 depending upon the day, we just weren't seeing each other, and that wasn't working for me.



That fall, we began to make plans to go through the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity.  We couldn't wait.  This was such a wonderful time in our lives.  I wish I had kept better records of what we went through during those times as emotions and feelings seem to be lost over time, but I remember feeling SO blessed and SO supported by our family and friends.  We were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on Saturday November 27, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment